Nielsen Reports U.S. Latina Power Shift
A recent report published by Nielsen reveals that Latinas are “the growth engine of the U.S. female population and are expected to represent 30 percent of the total female population by 2060.” Here are a few important takeaways from the report regarding Latinas’ growth, power and influence:
- Latinas are becoming more educated and tech savvy,creating an economic power shift in Latino households. According to the Nielsen report, 86 percent of Latina women are at the helm of purchasing decisions in households. According to Mónica Gil, senior vice president of public affairs and government relations:
“Latinas are a key driver of economic influence, giving marketers an opportunity to establish new and loyal consumer relationships by acknowledging the needs and following the unique behavior trends of Hispanic women.”
- Latinas are outpacing their counterparts when it comes to advancing in their careers. According to the findings in the new Nielsen report:
Latinas are making strides by way of their strong drives to improve their education and cultivate strong careers. In fact, Latinas are outpacing their Latino counterparts in both areas, and are overwhelmingly the decision-makers in household spending.
- For the first time, Latinas are exceeding non-Hispanic females in college enrollment. A record 73 percent of Hispanic high school female graduates are enrolling in college, 11 percent ahead of Hispanic males.
- Latinas are avid users of technology and social media; they often rely on social media platforms to stay connected to their cultural identity.
- Latinas are ambicultural; that is to say that many Latinas feel comfortable speaking both English and Spanish, as well as identifying with both the Latino and American culture.
Overall, Latinas are steadily contributing to the economic, cultural and educational growth of society and the consumer marketplace as a whole.
You can read the full Nielsen report here: Latinas Are a Driving Force Behind Hispanic Purchasing Power in the U.S..