Chocolate Mug Cakes – Your way!
I’m not exactly sure of which date I began making chocolate mug cakes, but I know it had something to do with an impromptu date night. When my girls were younger, date night was not on the top of our priortiy list. One evening after a busy day the girls turned in for the evening a little earlier than normal. My hubby suggested we watch a movie, have a glass of wine and take advantage of the time alone.
I quickly agreed. Then I realized I had nothing to offer with a glass of wine. With the busy week’s activities I had not baked at all. This was the first night I made chocolate mug cakes. I simply used the chocolate I had on hand for cookies. Even now, after 12 years, I still don’t know when the next date night will present itself, so I have prepared myself. I have upgraded to premium chocolate, added a chocolate liquer to my pantry and even have small quarts of quality ice cream stashed just for such an occasion.
Search online and you will find thousands upon thousands recipes for chocolate mug cakes. Some use cake mix, others brownie mix, no eggs, with eggs. Experiment with the recipes. Add the flavor que le encante a tu esposo. Does he enjoy peppermint? Add crush mints. What about nuts? My husband likes pecans so I add them in the mix. What about a drizzle of espresso or a tablespoon of cajeta or dulce de leche?
Don’t be afraid to tweak the recipe and make these small cakes your own.
Chocolate Mug Cakes
by Vianney Rodriguez from Sweet Life
This recipe makes 4 coffee mug cakes. 2 for date night and 2 for the kiddos to share. Or stash the mix in the fridge for yourself.
- 3/8 cup all purpose flour
- 3/8 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces dark chocolate
- 4 ounces butter, room temperature
- In the microwave melt butter with chocolate. Whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine flour, sugar, vanilla, salt and eggs. Whisk to combine and add chocolate mixture.
- Divide evenly into 4 coffee mugs. If making for date night divide into 2 coffee mugs and place mixture in fridge. (use within the week)
- Place 2 coffee mugs into the microwave. Microwave for 1 minute up to 2 minutes depending on microwave.
- Your cakes will rise a bit and they should be firm to the touch. Do not over bake or the cakes will dry out.
- Serve topped with ice cream or dusted with powdered sugar.