The Thanksgiving countdown has begun! The key to a stress free Thanksgiving is planning and prepping. Throwing a in little prayer never hurts either! I make a lot of my dishes the day before to cut down on the time in the kitchen. Thanksgiving is a day to give thanks, spend time with your loved ones and enjoy great food. Today I put a Latin spin on the ordinary cornbread dressing. This cornbread dressing can be made one day ahead and baked when needed. Happy Thanksgiving from New Latina! May you have a wonderful day filled with blessings, familia and tasty eats!
Chorizo, cumin and oregano give this cornbread dressing a hearty lift, while the cilantro and apple add a sweet perk. Make your favorite cornbread recipe or feel free to use a quality cornbread from your local bakery.
Mexican Cornbread Dressing
by Vianney Rodriguez / Sweet Life
- 5 cups crumbled cornbread
- 1 pound chorizo
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 apples of your choice, diced
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 cups turkey or chicken broth
- ½ cup cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 2 quart baking dish.
- Bake the cornbread on a baking sheet for 20 minutes,stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted.
- In a large skillet cook chorizo over medium high heat until brown.
- Add onions, celery, oregano and cumin.
- Sauté until lightly softened about 5 minutes. Reduce heat and add garlic and apples.
- Continue to cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add broth to pan, stir to combine and loosen bits on bottom of pan.
- Stir in cilantro and cornbread. Place the dressing into greased pan and bake for 40 minutes or until lightly brown.
- *Dressing can be made up to 1 day ahead. Cover and place in fridge. Reheat in oven until hot.