Guava Bars! I love baking. It’s my guilty pleasure, my selfish indulgence and sometimes my only alone time. Would I love to bake all day without the distractions of life? Of course. Would I enjoy the solitude of early mornings working with yeast, flour and sugar? That would be my dream. Is it possible to do this? Of course not. Many days life calls with it’s own plan — schedules, appointments, school, family and dinner. Does this mean I give up having a sweet treat after dinner? Never, especially with simple guava bar recipes like this one!
Guava Bars: A Perfect Standby Recipe for Busy Latinas
Every busy Latina needs solid standby recipes that are perfect in a pinch. Recipes that involve little prep, but yield great flavor. Today I feature one of my favorite go to recipes: Guava bars! Thick slices of guava paste are layered over a crumby oatmeal crust. No special equipment needed. Ingredients are easily found in your pantry. Forgot to allow your butter to come to room temperature, no worries simply pop into your microwave for 10 seconds.
GUAVA BARS RECIPE
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 15 ounces guava paste, cut into slices
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 9×13 pan, set aside
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and rolled oats.
- Add butter. With two knives cut butter into dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly.
- Press half of the mixture into prepared pan. This is your crust.
- Lay the sliced guava over the crust and press down lightly.
- Sprinkle the remaining mixture over the sliced guava and press gently with hand or fork.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
- Allow to cool and cut into slices.
Disfruta your guava bars!