Question: What is the fastest way to get back in shape after giving birth?
Mentoring Hermanasis a Q & A platform on Facebook where your burning questions are answered by a group of professional Latina women — supporting our hermanas one question at a time. To submit your question, click here.
Are you nursing? Nursing could help you to lose the weight initially but can keep those extra pounds. Why? If you are nursing and want to lose the weight, I would get away from the notion that you have to eat for two people. Only 300 to 500 extra calories is the allocated amount a woman should be consuming when they are nursing, that is equivalent to 2 extra healthy snacks.
Here are some tips:
1. Start slowly and safely based on what your level of physical activities and exercise prior to the pregnancy. If you were not actively exercising, go slow and get some guidance from a fitness professional. In the beginning your joints might have a hard time adjusting because our bodies produce oxytocin, which relaxes your body so you can have baby and produces milk for your baby. Of course, always check with your medical doctor before engaging in any new physical activities or exercise regiment.
2. Consider Total Body Activities like swimming. Swimming exercises the entire body: heart, lungs and muscles-with very little joint strain. Swimming pools usually offer monthly memberships that are affordable for Lap Swimming.
3. Dedicate enough time to exercising. While 10 to 15 minutes are a good goal initially, you might want to expand your exercise routine to 40 minutes or longer.
4. Consider joining a mommy and baby fitness group. Associating with other with like-minded mothers who share the same goals helps, big time.
5. Try waking up before your children do — to get your work out done first thing in the day. Believe me, you’ll start your day with so much more energy!
6. Remember, if there is a will, there is way. The goal is to lose weight and gain lean body mass (muscle) — not just lose weight. I encourage you to see the difference between the fastest way to lose weight and the healthiest way to lose weight. Our society is constantly bombarding us the idea that there is a magic pill out there, a quick fix, the latest greatest diet with all the answers. The fastest and healthiest way to lose weight after a baby is working out consistently — every day — even on the days you are not in the mood to work out. The results you are looking for will show themselves to you based on your consistent work.
7. Conscious eating will also determine how much you lose as well. Here are some helpful tips to remember:
- Stick to Real Foods
- Cook and transporting all your meals
- No Junk Food
- Replacing all liquids for WATER, 3 quarts daily
- No eating your children’s left overs
- Work out daily and rest on the 7th day
Look forward to hearing about your progress! You can reach your goal and beyond, and begin to introduce a Healthy Lifestyle to your child in the process.
Marisol Godinez-Braining is a Food Coach, Personal Trainer, and Chef. She’s the Founder and CEO of www.DiosaFitness.com, where she helps create awareness through Healthy Eating, Cooking and Exercise – ”Transforming Lives, Rebuilding New Bodies.”
featured photo credit